Wednesday, June 3, 2009

"Are you going to blog about Sonia Sotomayor?"

A friend of mine asked me that. My answer: not really. I just have a couple things to say, and then I don't find Sotomayor worth blogging about anymore. She's obviously going to be confirmed, and -- contrary to what the media would like us to believe -- it's futile to try to figure out what kinds of decisions she'd make on the highest court based on any available sources (even her lower-court opinions, let alone her public statements).

I share Will Wilkinson's response:

God, I hate politics. It really does make people stupid, especially those whose tribe is out of power. When Sonia Sotomayor was nominated, I knew nothing relevant about her judicial philosophy or, much more importantly, about her actual record as a judge. You’d think you’d wait to learn something about this before saying something about her, but no. People just proceeded to go crazy on cue.
This is yet another example of the mainstream media's bias in favor of heavily reporting on the most strident, soundbite-ready commentary being made by public figures -- from "empathy!" to "judicial activism!" to "racist!" and so on. I'm hardly the first person to observe that these memes drown out any kind of serious, subtle discussion of what matters.

1 comments:

John Althouse Cohen said...

I'm closing the comments due to spam. If you're a real person and you'd like to leave a comment on this post, just email me (my first and last name @gmail.com) and I'll open it back up.