Monday, February 15, 2010

Resigning by Twitter haiku, or senryu

A CEO resigns with quirky dignity by posting this on Twitter:

Today's my last day at Sun. I'll miss it. Seems only fitting to end on a #haiku.

Financial crisis
Stalled too many customers
CEO no more
That was all one tweet, but I've added the line breaks so it's in proper haiku form. The CEO is Jonathan Schwartz, and he resigned from Sun Microsystems.

I sent this to my dad, and he responded with (1) a correction:
These poems are senryu, not haiku. Same structure, but haiku are about nature and include a seasonal reference, while senryu are about human experience.
. . . and (2) a senryu of his own:
CEO only
of myself, if I resigned
who would take over?

2 comments:

Meade said...

CEO of self
short on staff,
long on sons

Richard Lawrence Cohen said...

Meade: Staff -- staff-- that's what I need!

Nice breaking away from the 17-syllable rule, which doesn't apply well to English.

WV: peepto