Friday, November 13, 2009

The 100 best songs of the first decade of the 2000s (50-41)

(Click here for the whole list.)

50. Beirut - Elephant Gun




49. Feist - Mushaboom




48. Fort Wilson Riot - An Imagined Civil State

Here's the mp3 (from the band's official website), and here's a minute-and-a-half excerpt:



The song is from their acclaimed rock opera, Idigaragua.

Full disclosure: The singer/guitarist is my friend and former bandmate Jacob Mullis.


47. The Polyphonic Spree - Light and Day/Reach for the Sun




46. Hot Hot Heat - No, Not Now




45. Rufus Wainwright - Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk




44. Elliott Smith - Son of Sam

This isn't the ideal list to represent Elliott Smith, who did most of his work in the '90s. He likely would have made more great music in this decade if not for his horrific death in 2003.




43. Seal - Waiting for You




42. St. Vincent - Marry Me

I promise I'd rank this song exactly the same even if I had a different first name!

I'm usually more focused on music than lyrics, so I'll just excerpt Summer Anne, who listed this song at #93 in her list:

many of her songs, lyrically, are like little puzzles waiting for you to solve them. They are personal, seemingly, but also cryptic and distant. She doesn’t hit you over the head with anything. This song is the perfect example. The lyrics are perfectly poetic and, like good poetry, grow with meaning every time they are studied:

But you, you’re a rock with a heart like a socket
I can plug into at will
And will you guess when I come around next
I hope your open sign is blinking still.




41. Ben Folds - Zak and Sara

0 comments: