Friday, October 23, 2009

The 100 best songs of the first decade of the 2000s (80-71)

(Click here for the whole list.)

80. Amy Winehouse - You Know I'm No Good

Surely an autobiographical song. Let's hope she straightens her life out.




79. Shout Out Louds - Tonight I Have to Leave It

Ripping off, and improving on, the Cure.




78. Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Me and My Imagination

Decadently gorgeous.




77. Ms. John Soda - Hands

A song that sounds like optimism being built on an assembly line.




76. Regina Spektor - Better

This was originally the "rock" track on her breakthrough album Begin to Hope, but she refurbished the production to make it subtler and more Regina-Spektor-like. This video gives you the newer version and a dozen Reginas.




75. Daniel Powter - Bad Day

Admittedly, this is a bit cloyingly mainstream for my taste and maybe yours. It still makes me feel good.




74. Imogen Heap - Headlock

Incongruously enough, this song always reminds me of making a bagel sandwich and stovetop-percolator coffee in my old apartment. I had one semester in law school where I had no morning classes on most weekdays, so I had time to have breakfast at home, and I'd always play her album Speak for Yourself (which begins with "Headlock") to get the day started.




73. The Arcade Fire - Wake Up

David Bowie joins the band in this performance.

Arguably the greatest melisma of the decade: the joyously drawn-out "adjuuuuuuust" (starting at 3:08 in the video).




72. Justin Timberlake - Cry Me a River




71. TV on the Radio - Dreams

1 comments:

Alkibiades said...

Glad to see Imogen Heap receive multiple nominations. I also used Speak For Yourself to energize before classes. I would substitute "The Moment I Said It" for "Headlock," though.