Friday, October 30, 2009

The 100 best songs of the first decade of the 2000s (70-61)

(Click here for the whole list.)

70. Goldfrapp - Happiness




69. The Darkness - I Believe in a Thing Called Love




68. Iron & Wine - On Your Wings




67. Death Cab for Cutie - The New Year




66. Locksley - Don't Make Me Wait



(Full disclosure: I know them from high school.)


65. Okkervil River - Our Life Is Not a Movie or Maybe




64. Rilo Kiley - I Never




63. Radiohead - Nude




62. Alicia Keys - You Don't Know My Name

The "Just My Imagination" of the '00s.




61. MGMT - The Youth

2 comments:

beckett said...

Re: Death Cab. I just. can't. get. into. them. The music is awesome. But the lyrics drive me out of my skull. Every single line is so self-consciously clever that it distracts me from the music.

John Althouse Cohen said...

I'm not a big lyrics person. I mostly pay attention to the music and just want the lyrics to not be too distracting or embarrassing. But I actually love Ben Gibbard's lyrics -- for Death Cab and also The Postal Service.