Monday, August 25, 2008

And the top 5 grunge songs are...

Now that we're into the home stretch of the grunge top 40, I'm going to roll out one of the last five songs every day this week...


5. Alice in Chains - Would?

For some reason, I've always found this to be one of the most emotionally affecting songs of the grunge era. I love the coda (the part that begins, "Am I wrong..."), when they shift to the relative major key with such a sense of absolute determination.



(Click here for song #4.)

(Click here for the whole list.)

2 comments:

Ann Althouse said...

I like this one too. And thanks for explaining what was going on with the "Am I wrong" transition. Personally, I was on the level of thinking: what are they supposed to be doing now? But you didn't talk about the last few seconds. I really don't understand that at all. I'm on the level of thinking: Did they mean to end it like that?

Also, you don't say anything about the video. If you had a list of most inconsequential videos for great songs, this could be on it.

Nihimon said...

Good choice! This and "Them Bones" got a lot of play for me off this album.