Monday, July 20, 2020

Why I don't click on Kanye articles

I’m not clicking on articles about Kanye. If you click on those articles, you’re encouraging more of them. If the articles get a lot of clicks, the websites will post more of them to get more advertising revenue. If the articles don’t get clicks, the websites will stop posting them for the same reason they didn’t post articles about certain Democratic primary candidates last year. If Kanye gets a lot of free advertising from the media, he’ll tend to get more votes if he turns out to be on some states’ ballots in November. If Kanye does get votes, he’ll split the anti-Trump vote with Biden, making Trump more likely to get reelected. I care more about preventing that from happening than I care about any curiosity I might have about Kanye.

When I said that on Facebook, someone asked if we should say the same thing about Trump and any number of other topics. My response:

If most Americans had started following this approach in 2015, Trump would have been deprived of attention and might not have been the nominee or the 45th president. The media gave Trump outsized attention because we loved to read about him and watch him. We gave Trump what he wanted, and he won as a result of people like us clicking on articles and videos. So Trump is a perfect example of my point.

Now that Trump is the incumbent president, there's no issue of how well-known he is — everyone's totally aware of his candidacy. So the idea that we have the power to deprive a candidate of recognition no longer applies to him.

0 comments: