Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Knock Down the House (2019 documentary)

Just watched Knock Down the House, the Netflix documentary about Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and other Democratic candidates who challenged incumbents in 2018. Wow. It was better than I expected, even knowing it got universally positive reviews. I cried more than once, including after one line from AOC which you'd never guess would cause that reaction.

I wish every American would watch this movie back to back with Mitt, the Netflix documentary about Romney's presidential campaigns, and realize there are good people on both sides.




UPDATE (2020): During the coronavirus pandemic, Netflix has posted many documentaries including this one for free on YouTube:

1 comments:

Richard Lawrence Cohen said...

Just saw it, and I strongly agree. It was touching, entertaining and inspiring, and it gave me a very good feeling about the new group of Democratic candidates who are entering politics. A good match with Mitt, too, on nonpartisan grounds. It’s hard to imagine anyone, liberal or conservative, who wouldn’t come away thinking that AOC and the others are genuine, unbought, idealistic, and brave.
The AOC scenes had a special meaning for me, because the neighborhood in the Bronx where she lives – Parkchester – is where my grandparents lived. It’s the place where AOC and her boyfriend are seen walking on broad, dark gray paths, past well-kept six-story red brick apartment buildings with neat lawns. It’s two miles from my neighborhood and one mile from my junior high school, and I walked to my grandparents’ house after school on Fridays, including the day President Kennedy was shot. A beloved aunt, uncle, and pair of cousins also lived there. Parkchester was built as a planned middle-income rental community by Metropolitan Life Insurance Co. in the early 1940s. They built two matching communities in Manhattan – Stuyvesant Town and Peter Cooper Village – at about the same time.
When I saw AOC going into the elevator and emerging into the lobby – which look very much the same now as then – I could smell the roast chicken and garlic aromas that always hung in the hallway. I felt almost dizzy.
Also, the elevated subway station at the bottom of which AOC writes her name in chalk of the sidewalk is the 2 train Pelham Parkway stop, whose stairs I climbed countless times in my youth, not only to take the subway but to cross the busy commercial intersection at White Plains Road by walking up the stairs on one side of the street and walking down them on the other.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/30/realestate/parkchester-the-bronx-working-as-planned.html