Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Spleen update: Listen to your gut

I blogged recently about Zachary Paul Sire, who said this on his blog Sire Says:

I see Althouse has a post up referencing this post, and her thoughtful words got me thinking about why I whipped out my camera phone in the ER.

Well, I really did think I was going to die. The doctor told me I had a ruptured spleen and was bleeding internally, but then he walked away and said he'd "back in a few." The hell?! How can you say that and just walk away?

Anyway, as freaked out as I was, the one thing that made me happy (I laughed out loud as I was doing it, actually) was to take out my phone and start taking pictures of myself, knowing that this was bloggable material. And if I told myself that I would have something interesting to blog about, that I had something to look forward to, and that I still had something to write, then there was absolutely no reason to die.
He just posted his update:
Last month, I told you about my trip to the hospital, for what was later diagnosed as a "spontaneously ruptured spleen."

Turns out, it never happened.

After a follow-up scan this past week, I learned that the spleen never ruptured, but it was instead a cyst (on my spleen) that had burst. ...

Now, that cyst has reformed, and it's even bigger than it probably was before. It's about 10 cm, and it could burst again...at any moment. Supposedly, this is not life threatening, but rather extremely painful and uncomfortable. ...

I'm really living on the edge, anticipating that something, sometime, could happen, and it's distracting. I had a feeling a month ago that the spleen had never ruptured. It just didn't make sense. I shoulda listened to my gut.
Best wishes, Zach.

2 comments:

Zachary Sire said...

Thanks John. This all certainly makes life interesting.

Anonymous said...

There's no doubt, the guy is completely right.
! | . | ... -> | 4 | 1 . | this