Thursday, January 15, 2009

Anesthesiologist's drug tragedy

I wasn't sure I could keep reading this article after I read this paragraph in the introduction:

That first injection of morphine, however, would quite possibly be the last time Cambron actually chose to do drugs. As the needle broke the skin and the morphine slowly seeped into his system that December day, Cambron began to cede control over his own medical powers. Before long, his career--and much more--would be in jeopardy.
I'm now going to be a bit more skeptical when I hear advocates of drug legalization argue that drugs would be so much safer if only they were regulated. Sometimes they'll even cite morphine as an example of a legal drug that, despite being related to heroin, is clearly safe because, hey, it's used for anesthesia. Ugh.

0 comments: